From Folk/Acoustic. Lovely folk tune!
A four "mic"
rating. ‘Take It As It Comes
’ is a fantastic little folk inspired tune. With an upbeat vibe that takes you back to folk festivals in the sun, it makes for a great piece of music. Lyrically it is quite profound and gets you thinking about your own life, this is balanced perfectly by the delivery of the lyrics and instrumentation, it has a quite a laid back and relaxed vibe which elevates the heavy subject slightly. The electric guitar riffs really make this tune for me, they add a great flavour to the song. The production is fantastic, it has a lo-fi sound which complements the style well whilst still maintaining that polished master sound. There is obviously folk, country and blues influence in this and I think the way these genres have been combined is amazing – love the harmonica. Top job from Richard Rhys O’Brien!
From sputnikmusic 4.0 Excellent rating
I Know a Little Place
is a lovely folk inspired album from former economist Richard Rhys O’Brien. With a bluesy/country vibe in places, the music has an upbeat relaxed feel. There is some great instrumentation on this CD, piano, electric guitars and harmonicas! This alongside the real honest sound of Richard’s voice makes for an eclectic collection of songs that everyone will be tapping their feet to!
Some of the songs that stick out for me are;
Take It As It Comes
- this one has a real country vibe to it, loving the harmonica.
- a slightly darker more sinister vibe here that makes a slight contrast from the usual upbeat sound. Some really interesting intricate parts that all add up to a well rounded track.
- this track has a slight comedy sound to it, discussing different coffees at the beginning. The contrast between the spoken word alongside the soft female backing vocals make for an interesting sound.
- some rhythmic vocals alongside a walking bass line, a very catchy tune indeed!
Be Like A Bird
- the last track on this 14 song strong album and it’s a perfect one to close on, almost ballad like with a simple piano and vocals and an excellent piece of simple yet effective music.
A very innovative album that tells many stories. I think it would be a perfect accompaniment to a stage show, Richard certainly has some stories to tell!
From Head in the Soundclouds
, on Take it as it comes
A lovely acoustic country style song with a real message behind it.A fantastic introduction into what Richard is all about.
Very catchy - you will definitely be tapping your toes to this one! Great tune
On I Know a little place
from On the Spot Music
An album full of beautiful music. Richard's sound is reminiscent of blues, folk, classical and country, inspired by the likes of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen. Richard creates and warm and rich sound whilst covering topics close to his heart
A career as an economist and futurist has equipped Richard with an intriguing perspective of the world which shines through his music and lyrics especially in the song Choice (would be a fine thing)
which explores consumerism. A rhythmic, walking base line gives this song a real catchy folk, blues feel. From poplovingtarts
Great lyrics sung with a sincerity and honesty reminiscent of the Noel Harrison classic "Windmills of your Mind". Richard knows how to tell a story in an entertaining way that keeps you listening. His lyrics strike you with distinctive imagery, while the musical direction from different band members fuses brilliantly in the background. mydadrocks